Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A Modified Glass Onion

When we moved to Big Piney, WY three months ago, I was sort of greiving my loss of Goodwill and some other favorite thrift stores I often frequented {read: visited nearly everyday}. It was really missing the experience of discovering hidden gems for mere pennies. When I was finally coming to terms with my new way of life, sans thrift stores, someone told my husband about a thrift store in a town 5 minutes from Big Piney. It couldn't be that good though, right? I mean there are only 1500 people to donate, its not going to be good, thought I. 

I was sooo wrong! It is a super fun thrift store, and its pretty big. My little heart did a happy dance for sure. The best part is they have a decent size fabric section full of vintage fabric and pure gems! Life crisis averted. I have found so many fun things in their fabric section, one of them being this purple, weird, wool like fabric, backed with a smooth and silky polyester. It is super cozy and perfect for winter. I would never find anything like this at a big name store. And I paid $2 for an entire yard of this mystery fabric. Score!


Some fabric you just know exactly what you want to make with it - and that was the case with this stuff. Shwin Designs has this pattern called The Glass Onion Top and it is a definitely a go to of mine. I think this is the fourth top I have made from this pattern, but my first long sleeve version. Instant love.


This pattern is called the Glass Onion Top because in the original pattern, the back is two pieces that curve and overlap, giving it two layers, like an onion! While I love the original pattern, hemming curves is not my favorite thing, and I also didn't love how in the wind the back flaps would expose Avery's back. In case you didn't know, Wyoming is sort of windy. So I came up with an easy solution to fix both problems I was having.


I drafted a new back yoke, using the original pieces to get the scoop just right in the back, and the length just right so it would match the seams from the front yoke. 


Then I simply cut two skirts, instead of one. And actually in this particular shirt, since the fabric is think and doesn't drape well, I reduced the width of the skirt for the front and back by one inch on the fold. I did this to reduce extra bulk and extra puffiness that my thick fabric would be prone to doing.


Can you tell my model is watching TV during this photoshoot? Hey, whatever gets her to hold still for me, right? Right.
This is the first thing I have made in a while that I am absolutely in love with. Sometimes it can be really hard to make the right fabric choice with the right pattern. I don't normally get both parts right, but sometimes I get lucky :)

5 comments:

  1. I love that fabric too. It will be nice and warm for those winter months…many of which to come;-) And, Avery has gorgeous hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE!!! Love the color of that fabric. As usual, you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avery is a natural. So darling. You keep getting better with your designs and creations every time. I love that you use the same pattern and adjust for your needs. The sign of a true seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avery is a natural. So darling. You keep getting better with your designs and creations every time. I love that you use the same pattern and adjust for your needs. The sign of a true seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like I said, you got it! Love that fabric. Avery is going to like wearing it to school. Keep stitching! Avery sure is a cute model.��

    ReplyDelete